Total Time: 30-35 minutes Prep Time: 5 minutes
Modified Recipe by Keith, April 2018
- 1 cup (5 oz) whole wheat. 88gr carbs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise) 3gr carbs.
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
– 8g carbs
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds, ground up in coffee grinder
- 1 Tbsp 3.5% Milk, as Chia seeds absorb liquid by 10 times it’s weight
- 1 egg beaten well. You can also brush on butter instead.
- Other optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes)**
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with a bit of oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined. It will look like small crumbles.
- Remove dough from the bowl, knead it well. It should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away. About 2 minutes kneading.
- Divide into equal balls. Put on parchment paper (lightly oiled) on cookie sheet.
- Top with egg wash or butter wash, and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice if you want to use any.
- Bake at 375F on the top rack of the oven for 25- 35 minutes or until golden brown on bottom, and light brown on top. (You can turn them over at 20 mins to get browned on both sides a little better, but not necessary). Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size:1 bagel / 1 cake
Calories: 152 calories +19 for chia seeds Total Fat: 0.3g +1g for chia seeds Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 434mg Carbs/Bagel: 25g (includes 3gr sugar ea) Fiber: 1g +1gr for Chia seeds. Protein: 10g + .5g for chia seeds +1.25% Daily Calcium and 1.25% Daily Iron.